A. C. Moore’s parent company Nicole Crafts announced on November 25 2019 that Moore was closing down. This was will cover all of its more than 145 locations based on the Eastern Seaboard. AC Moore plans to continue to offer services to customers until the closures are complete. However, it is no longer allowing for online orders.
The Michaels Companies Inc. will be taking over 40 of these locations, as well as one distribution center.The plan is to have these locations open sometime in 2020. Michael’s is already the largest arts and crafts store in the U.S. with over 1,260 locations.
Looking at the bi wheel, we think that as children grew up, there has not been enough replacement families, to fill those cash registers particularly as more and more young Americans are moving out of Moore’s target area.
- Idaho has regained the position as the leader in inbound moves for 2018. They have come in first 3 times out of the last 4 years, after falling to the second spot in 2017.
- Illinois topped the outbound moves list for the 4th time since 2014.
- For the last 5 years, the states with the highest move totals haven’t changed. They are as follows: Florida, California, and Texas.
- Tennessee made its second debut in the Top 5 most inbound states, jumping up to spot #4 from #5.
- Maryland made its first debut in the Top 5 most outbound states.
- Possible correlation between state property taxes and migration.*